When it comes to Halloween, why buy your costume if you could make it (or better yet, pull it out of your own closet!)?? All week long I’ll share my ideas for inexpensive, Homemade Halloween costumes. Enjoy!
When it comes to Halloween, why buy your costume if you could make it (or better yet, pull it out of your own closet!)?? All week long I’ll share my ideas for inexpensive, homemade Halloween costumes. Enjoy!
I’m a sucker for maps and geography, so as a kid, I loved watching Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego. I couldn’t explain the rules to you, but I remember there were kids running around marking countries on a giant map for bragging rights and prizes. I also thought Carmen was kind of cool.
- Red Trench Coat
- Purple Hat
- Yellow Hat Band
- Black or Gray gloves
- Black or Gray Boots
- Map or Globe
This costume is straight from my closet. My only expense was the yellow ribbon for the hat band (which I’m using for another costume this week), which averages out to $1 spent. Not bad!
Difficulty level: Easy
Time Commitment: 30 minutes or less
Photography by Suzie Reecer.
WhatIWore: When it comes to my Halloween Costumes, I’ve been saving the best for last. A couple of weeks ago, I saw the trailer to Alice and Wonderland and thought the Mad Hatter could be a great costume. Ding ding ding! Here we have it - the grand finale. This was another zero dollar ensemble. To create the hat I used:
- Free party hat from the IFB Dress Up Soiree
- Scarf originally a gift with purchase from vintage etsy seller
- Brooch originally from a flea market
- Feathers originally from DIY project
Next was the actual outfit. I knew I wanted black, green and purple as my key colors, so I went with:
- Vintage Shirt originally from Una Mae’s (in Chicago)
- Two Selfmade Necklaces
- Betsey Johnson dress originally a gift from internship
- Checker board scarf originally one pound from a bin in London
- Green tights originally from We Love Colors
- Purple Shoes originally from Payless
For the Makeup, I used
- Purple eyeshadow and mascara for the eyes
- Purple eyeliner plus gloss on the lips
- Liquid liner for beauty marks
As the week ends, let me know which costume was your favorite and why!